ALW is new to Contra Costa County and will be COMING SOON!
Please contact us if you are interested in partaking in the Assisted Living Waiver.
ASSISTED LIVING WAIVER (ALW)
Choice in Aging is the Care Coordination Agency (CCA) in Contra Costa County for the Assisted Living Waiver (ALW). The key element of the ALW program is the freedom of choice. ALW enables low-income, Medi-Cal eligible seniors and persons with disabilities over 21 years of age, who would otherwise require skilled nursing facility level services, to choose to remain in or relocate to a community. ALW operates under the direction of the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) as a Medi-Cal benefit. DHCS oversees the delivery of assisted living services and determines whether those services are being delivered in a manner that assures the safety and well-being of the participants.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM:
- Freedom to choose where to live
- Assignment of a Care Coordinator to help navigate the process, conduct assessments and develop an Individualized Service Plan (ISP), and monitor service delivery on a monthly basis
- Once accepted and admitted to a facility, it must continue to provide necessary services and adapt services as the needs of the participant change
- All providers are expected to deliver all four levels (tiers) of care
- People living in other counties can receive services if they are otherwise qualified and willing to relocate to one of the participating counties and work with an enrolled Care Coordination Agency
- ALW program is currently available in Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Joaquin and Contra Costa counties.
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY AND COST:
Participants must be approved for full-scope or share-of-cost Medi-Cal benefits and require a skilled nursing facility level of care. The level of care is imperative, since the program is designed to serve those who would otherwise need skilled nursing home care. Contracted Care Coordination Agencies use a standardized assessment tool to determine the client’s need for nursing home level of care.
More information is available on the Assisted Living Waiver Fact Sheet.